Our dog Lily, once again, has given me an experience I never wanted.
I've had to call the emergency vet number at least 3 times with her. And she's not a bad dog at all. She just seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
This weekend, we stayed overnight in Paris, KY at my parents' house. We came back in the house around 10pm after watching a soccer game and let out the dogs. I heard a lot of commotion, knew something was up, and then I smelled it. That lovely smell of skunk.
Lily finally came back in the house and immediately knew she stunk of skunk. She didn't get a full-blown attack, but she definitely went through the bushes where the skunk had just let loose.
We gave her a bath of tomato juice, which totally grossed me out. Almost more than the skunk smell. We did it twice and she seemed to smell better.
My mom looked on the internet and found a different concoction to try. Turns out it worked pretty good. It was a mixture of vinegar, baking soda, and dish detergent.
After a couple of wash downs with that, we were all worn out, especially Lily. We half dried her off and she smelled pretty good. She may have a hint of that smell left on her but it's mostly gone. Incredible.