Thursday, March 03, 2011

Farm to School

Since I was getting ready for a Farm to School meeting set for tonight, I thought I would look around at the USDA website.  Their big initiative (which I LOVE, by the way) is Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food.  The website also has this catch-phrase 'Every family needs a farmer?  Do you know yours?'  I mean, this is great stuff!

But, of course, the first thing you see on the website is this image of 'your average produce farmer'.  That's where I just about lost it.  Here it is:


It's all very cliched.  The gloves is what did it for me.  I mean, this guy is wearing leather gloves you might see a cowboy wear on a bucking bronco!  Can you imagine all the germs living it up on those gloves?  Gave me the creeps almost.

And of course, for vegetable nerds like me, what's in the basket struck me as well.  Broccoli, mainly harvested in the spring or fall (even after a frost!) and tomatoes and sweetcorn which are wonderful summer fare.

I guess I need to get a life and not sweat the small stuff.

No comments: