Monday, July 31, 2006

June bugs and blackberries

At home, we have about 30 blackberry plants. We have really enjoyed picking and eating them right off the plant -- they are wonderful and sweet. But over the last 2 weeks, the June bugs and Japanese beetles have also been enjoying their sweetness.

I have found that our small black berry patch is the choice home for many, many mosquitoes and June bugs. As I go pick in the 90 degree weather, I wear long sleeves and long pants to deter mosquitoes -- but they usually find my uncovered neck and face to bite.

And the June bugs -- well, there's nothing you can wear to deter them. Maybe a suit of armor would be appropriate. They come flying out in their addled way, usually bumping into something (my head mostly). If one lands on the ground, the foot comes down on it. And you don't have to be quick, the poor lumbering souls are easy prey for the foot thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you don't mind ratty looking hibiscus plants around your yard, you might want to try planting the kind that die down each winter & come back from the roots (I guess) by your berries. They do a good job of attracting most of the beetles & you have more berries to pick. This works on blueberries anyway...

GW said...

Well I guess a flame thrower is out of the question but the June bugs are ridicilous this year. I thought I might try making some blackberrie wine but at this rate I may have to settle for June bug wine...I am done with them, pesticides her I come. I am done sharing with them, they are getting more than I am. I tried the organic route but all I can say is Austa Lavista June bugs.....

Beth said...

GW, thanks for the comment. Yes, June bugs are bad this year. I'm trying some Neem on them -- it is a feeding deterrent only, but the PHI is 0 days compared to 7 for Sevin. I'm still killing them with my foot....